With projected growth in the working population to top 2.5 billion people by 2050 and over $1.3 trillion dollars in consumer spending by 2030, African countries have become inviting markets for investment and, business and development partnerships. African companies and leaders have an opportunity to harness this wave to shape the development of better health programs and policies in support of healthier, more productive and vibrant economies.
Business leaders know that investing in the health of employees, communities and consumers today can protect and enhance future profits — not only ensuring business growth but driving economic prosperity.
However, addressing systemic health challenges is not something that a single company can do alone. Creating lasting impact requires collaboration among a range of stakeholders committed to developing the right tools to promote accountability and coordination, sharing risks and expertise and disseminating learning. ABCHealth can be an effective partner to ensure programs are efficient, technically-sound, well-communicated and impactful.
GBCHealth partnered with the Aliko Dangote Foundation to work hand-in-hand with African leaders and companies — in cooperation with global businesses, philanthropists and development institutions — to establish and launch the African Business Coalition for Health (ABCHealth). The coalition works to unlock synergies to help companies and their leadership contribute more directly to meeting national and regional health goals in the context of SDG Agenda 2030 and Africa Agenda 2063 — ultimately improving the standard of living, quality of life, and the overall health and well-being of all Africans.
Driving Business Action on Health
ABCHealth works companies of all sizes, from SMEs to large multinationals, to maximize the impact of workplace and community health programs.
The goal is simple: to generate progress in critical health areas, while providing guidance to companies on how to maximize the value and impact of their investments.
The mission and activities of ABCHealth is guided and shaped by an Advisory Group of influential African leaders across the public and private sectors, along with a network of local, regional and global companies committed to promoting action for the African community.
The Value to African Businesses
- Build more robust and open relations with government and leaders to advocate for common goals, influence policy and empower communities
- Develop effective employee health programs to increase productivity, reduce absenteeism, and improve employee retention and recruitment
- Create more efficient CSR strategies that yield better results at the community level and drive maximum value to the business
- Enhance community-level partnerships by identifying results-oriented partners
- Mitigate business shocks from pandemic disease threats through preparedness policies and training
- Learn from peers, develop ideas, pilot programs, share risk, and gain visibility
- Enhance standing and reputation externally before consumers and public leaders
- Access a growing library of regionally relevant tools, research, case studies, standards and data
The Value to Multinational Businesses
- Build relationships and awareness with influential African business leaders
- Discover long-term opportunities enhanced by direct knowledge and networks in local markets
- Gain easier access to vetted community-based program partners
- Invest directly in health issues and systems which impact local operations and local employees
- Leverage current health investments with local partners to help meet the SDGs, building capacity and resilience of domestic health systems
Take part in an unprecedented movement of business leaders working in concert to save lives, while actively safeguarding and improving the health and wellbeing of employees, customers and communities.
For more information contact:
Mories Atoki, ABCHealth, (Lagos, Nigeria)
Zakari Momodu, Aliko Dangote Foundation, (Lagos, Nigeria)
Nancy Wildfeir-Field, GBCHealth, (New York, USA)
Interviews on improving African health:
Resources & Publications
- View the ABCHealth website
- African Private Sector leaders take the lead to rewrite Africa’s healthcare narrative with support from African Heads of State
- Healthcare and Economic Growth in Africa Report
- Fix Health, Fix Africa
- Africa Business: Health Forum 2019 – Transforming Africa’s Health Outcomes
- High Level Dialogue Report | Africa’s Health and Finance: Pathways to Economic Growth & Prosperity