The Africa Business: Health Forum, held on the margins of the African Union summit in Addis Ababa on 12th February 2019, was the culmination of efforts by Aliko Dangote Foundation, GBCHealth and the UN Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) to help mobilize private sector resources and expertise in order to strengthen health systems and consequently transform health outcomes across the continent.
A newly-released Forum Report from the event organizers is now available for anyone who wants a detailed snapshot of event proceedings, including many insightful speeches from regional leaders representing government, private sector and NGOs. Speakers featured at the event, and whose remarks can be found in the Forum Report, included:
- Vera Songwe, Executive Secretary of the ECA
- Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede, Founder and Chairman of Africa Initiative for Governance (AIG) and Co-Chair, GBCHealth
- Halima Aliko-Dangote, Trustee, Aliko Dangote Foundation (remarks delivered on behalf of Aliko Dangote, Chairman of Aliko Dangote Foundation)
- Michel Sidibé, Executive Director of UNAIDS
- E. Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed of Ethiopia
- E. President Mokgweetsi Masisi of Botswana
- E. President Ismail Omar Guelleh of Djibouti
- E. Hala Zayed, Minister of Health and Population of Egypt
- E. Sicily Kariuki, Health Cabinet Secretary of Kenya
The Forum Report also includes detailed summaries of the key sessions from the Forum, focused on subjects such as health as a major driver of economic growth, domestic mobilization of funds for health, and insights from successful public-private partnerships.
The Forum saw the official launch of the Healthcare and Economic Growth in Africa report. This 87-page document provides a strategic direction for African countries to better engage with the private health sector and accelerate improvements in health. It examines Africa’s healthcare challenges and highlights opportunities for the private sector. The Forum Report includes a four-page summary of the key takeaways from the Healthcare and Economic Growth in Africa report.
The Forum Report also includes discussion of the launch of ABCHealth, a coalition of African companies, philanthropists and individuals committed to improving the health and wellbeing of Africa’s people. The coalition aims to develop and deploy impactful health programs across Africa, deepening knowledge, building evidence for future investments and strengthening coordination among African business leaders, companies, philanthropists and global business networks for coordinated action on health.
The Africa Business: Health Forum Report can be found at this link.