If you are interested in contributing to GBCHealth’s mission and have specific skills and expertise that you feel might help advance our programming and organizational development, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are especially interested in individuals with strong backgrounds in business, partnership development and public health.
Current Employment Opportunities:
Communications Manager, African Business Coalition for Health
GBCHealth is partnering with the Aliko Dangote Foundation to work hand-in-hand with African leaders and companies — in cooperation with global businesses, philanthropists and development institutions — to establish and launch the African Business Coalition for Health (ABCHealth). The coalition will unlock synergies to help companies and their leadership contribute more directly to meeting national and regional health goals in the context of SDG Agenda 2030 and Africa Agenda 2063 — ultimately improving the standard of living, quality of life, and the overall health and wellbeing of all Africans.
Our goal is simple: to generate progress in critical health areas, while providing guidance to companies on how to maximize the value and impact of their investments. African companies, like those in other regions, want to allocate their capital more efficiently to solutions that will maximize their bottom line while simultaneously improving the health of their employees, customers and the communities where they operate and beyond.
The coalition will convene and connect companies with each other and with governments, multilaterals and NGOs; catalyze high-impact partnerships; share knowledge and champion best practices in business engagement in health; elevate the business voice to policy makers and provide a visible platform to recognize and share private sector contributions to improving health within their workplace and within their communities and countries of operation. ABCHealth’s success is contingent upon attracting the best and the brightest emergent leaders and partners, along with speedy action and significant financial investments
January 2019 African Private Sector Forum & Launch:
A public launch for the coalition is being planned for January 2019 alongside the 32nd African Union Summit. The event will feature African leaders driving progress on health in partnership with governments and civil society. It will provide a regional platform to discuss, develop and showcase: the leadership role and advocacy power of African business leaders; continent-level and regional partnership opportunities; public-private partnership to improve public sector policy formulation and implementation; market-based innovative financing for health; and technology for high impact health outcomes, amongst other issues.
GBCHealth seeks a passionate Communications Manager with exceptionally strong writing skills, applicable to both editorial and marketing communications, to create and implement ABCHealth’s communications strategy. The manager is responsible for creating and overseeing ABCHealth’s editorial output (press releases, stories, interviews and other news items) for web and other editorial outlets, as well as creating all internal and external marketing materials, industry and programmatic briefs, for both the launch and longer term development. This full-time position is based in Lagos, and reports to the acting CEO.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Driving development and execution of communications and outreach strategy
- Establishing communication programs geared to specific industry sectors
- Research, writing and design:
- Writing and managing content, design, print and distribution of all print and online publications, including e-newsletters, press releases, blogs, special reports and corporate brochure
- Developing sales and marketing materials that communicate the benefits of ABCHealth’s products and service offerings – shaping how we tell the story of our work and that of our members
- Writing speeches, developing message points, preparing briefing documents for CEO and other directors as needed
- Researching and developing communications tools to encourage and inform corporate action in health
- Providing design guidance, as needed, for web and print materials
- Overseeing constant improvements and maintenance of ABCHealth’s website
- Media relations:
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with local, regional and global media outlets to generate publicity, media interest in and coverage of ABCHealth events, policy positions and activities
- Handle media inquiries and coordinate interviews for senior staff with local and regional media; evaluate all media and personal appearance requests and opportunities for senior executives
- Organizing press conferences and briefings as required
- Developing story ideas, placement of op-eds and other tasks as requires
- Developing media partnerships to amplify/extend reach of communications activities
- Monitoring media coverage and creating measurement tools to gauge effectiveness of communications efforts
- Assisting in the planning and coordination of events
- Managing co-branding, ensuring appropriate brand visibility and positioning
- Overseeing messaging, media and marketing
- Securing media sponsorships
- Designing and managing both programmatic and promotional campaigns
- Managing outside resources e.g. marketing and public relations agencies and web consultants
- Leading communications efforts for launch
Responsibilities as they relate to launch include, as a representative list:
- Developing marketing/communications strategy in collaboration with events & PR companies
- Collaborating on event content
- Drafting speeches, session briefs, speaker guidelines, message points, press releases and other event-related materials as needed
- Supporting participant outreach through web/email marketing in sync with media/PR strategy
- Consulting on event branding with external agencies as needed
- Overseeing onsite TV studio with PR firm or media partner
- Overseeing media outreach and interviews with PR firm
- Managing onsite media, press conference and interviews in collaboration with PR firm and Logistics company
- Identifying/approaching media partners and media sponsors with PR and Events firms
- Overseeing post event report, production and distribution
- Masters’ or Bachelor’s or degree (with equivalent experience) in public relations, communications or related field, plus minimum five years’ experience in communications-focused role; Regional or international exposure important
- Must have exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills, and a strong command of marketing communications, ideally with direct experience in public health field
- Media savvy, with eye for design and composition
- Experience in social media to drive awareness, engagement and action
- Demonstrated experience in writing/placing press releases, pitching stories and interviews, developing media relationships, organizing press conferences
- InDesign, Photoshop or similar design experience helpful, but not required
- Ideal candidate is a self-starter with creative approaches to outreach, exceptional inter-personal and communication skills, ability to work successfully with extremely diverse constituencies, highly organized, with strong attention to detail, energy and enthusiasm
- Must be able to work well independently and as part of a team, effectively prioritizing and producing a substantial volume of work in a pleasant but busy office
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants, please send a cover letter and resume, to Ian Matthews, Director, Communications, at email@example.com. Salary will be commensurate with experience. No phone calls please.
Cover letter should contain a statement of personal interest in and motivation for the role and location (Nigeria base with pan-African remit), and examples of skills, experience and personal characteristics that you believe qualify you for this position
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit their resume and accompanying statements as early as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and short-listed as they are received. The selection committee hopes to make an appointment within the next four weeks.
Should you have any questions and wish to discuss the role further, please contact:
Ian Matthews at GBCHealth: firstname.lastname@example.org