AIf you are interested in contributing to GBCHealth’s mission and have specific skills and expertise that you feel might help advance our programming and organizational development, please contact us at email@example.com. We are especially interested in individuals with strong backgrounds in business, partnership development and health finance.
Current Employment Opportunities:
Chief Executive Officer, African Business Coalition for Health (Lagos, Nigeria)
Current Internship Opportunities (all Internship openings are currently filled. Please check back in late Fall for additional opportunities).
Chief Executive Officer, African Business Coalition for Health
In response to a rapidly growing African economy, and needs within national and regional health systems, GBCHealth is undertaking a major pivot in its strategy, reorienting many of its resources to focus on the emerging business community across Africa. These companies, like those in other regions, want to allocate their capital more efficiently to solutions that will maximize their bottom line while simultaneously improving the health of their employees, customers and the communities where they operate and beyond.
Building on its years of work with African business leaders, companies and the development community, GBCHealth, in partnership with the Aliko Dangote Foundation, is creating and launching the African Business Coalition for Health (ABCHealth), an independent subsidiary, focusing on business action at the intersection of health, sustainability and corporate citizenship. We are embarking on this exciting journey in partnership with the Dangote Foundation, and a group of influential philanthropists and corporate leaders.
The aim is simple: to generate progress where it is most needed to achieve positive health outcomes.
The vision for the coalition is to develop local approaches to support coordinated impact and involvement of the African private sector in the health and economic productivity of the continent. It will support local companies to help integrate best health practices into their own policies; to catalyze high-impact partnerships; to elevate the business voice to policy makers, and to provide a visible platform to recognize and share private sector contributions to improving health within their workplace and within their communities and countries of operation. The mission will be guided and shaped by the African community.
The coalition will be supported via a lead office in Lagos, Nigeria, hosted by the Aliko Dangote Foundation, with plans to expand the footprint across Africa over the next 2-5 years.
ABCHealth’s success is contingent upon attracting the best and the brightest emergent leaders and partners, along with speedy action and significant financial investments.
If you are a dynamic, experienced and highly collaborative leader, let’s change the world together. GBCHealth seeks a visionary, inspirational and strategic leader to drive ABCHealth’s start-up, launch, and growth. Successful candidates will be outstanding communicators and coalition-builders, knowledgeable about business and health, with the standing, respect and authenticity to influence and close large deals with high-net worth individuals and corporations.
He/she must be entrepreneurial, flexible and adaptable, with superior business acumen that enables swift development and execution of ideas and plans. Strong consulting and project management experience is essential, along with the ability to inspire trust, confidence and collaboration across a diverse community of stakeholders. He/she will be a passionate advocate, catalyst and change agent, building and driving a small high performance team, towards quality execution and financial sustainability.
Candidates must have ten years of experience (ideally half of which should be as business consultant or within a company), and a track record of leadership. An international perspective and strong private sector networks are essential; some knowledge of African health sector ideal. Outstanding interpersonal, public speaking and communications skills are also essential.
The successful candidate will have broad based experience across several of the following services/functions: business development; consulting/advisory services; sales; project design/management; marketing, brand development; communications; finance, strategic planning, research, training knowledge management, M&E.
The position is based in Lagos, Nigeria, requiring domestic, regional and international travel.
- Leadership/Vision: Lead the creation of a fully active and invested network of African companies as the African Business Coalition for Health. Responsible for driving revenue and long term financial stability, as well as strategic planning and partnerships
- Establish consulting practice, leading development and ‘sales’ of bespoke African products
- Match and grow annual commitments over three years to support development of ABCHealth
- Cross fertilize programs in collaboration with international team, identifying and sharing opportunities to engage coalition members in global platforms
- Representation & facilitation: CEO is primary spokesperson for ABCHealth, representing the organization with business, government and development leaders, and on public platforms; facilitates roundtables and other leadership meetings with C-suite executives and other senior representatives of partners and stakeholders
- Relationship building: Establish effective working relationships with key stakeholders (e.g. government ministries, foundational and corporate leaders, other donors and program partners)
- Marketing & Communications: Develop and oversee messaging, materials, media partnerships/outreach, social media, events with support from GBCHealth
- Program design and content: Lead idea generation and packaging of creative concepts and technical information to educate partners, drive partnerships and collective action, and identify/support consulting opportunities
Organization and fiscal management: Work with local legal counsel and management team to properly set up, register and create organizational policy and procedures consistent with existing GBCHealth protocols. Develop budgets, manage cash flow and financial reporting. Recruit and manage local staff and collaborate with GBCHealth leadership as part of global senior management team.
- Strategic and tactical, effectively balancing vision and execution
- Entrepreneurial with hands on approach towards business; disciplined, proactive, self-starter
- Flexible, adaptable, agile leader; having a can-do, problem-solving attitude
- Effective speaker with ability to inspire others, motivating action, generating confidence and trust in investors, partners, clients, Board, staff
- Strong consulting, relationship and project management skills
- Global mindset with international experience
- Passionate about your work, persuasive, enthusiastic, energized
- Masters degree from leading university (or equivalent experience) in business, public health, international relations, communications or related field
- 8-10 years combined experience in business and development or health (ideally at least 3 years leading a corporate program for a major company)
- Demonstrated leadership in consulting; building brands, products, portfolios; creating new business models and/or learning platforms with proven market results
- Track record in negotiating significant commitments from corporate sector, high-net worth individuals and/or other donors
- An understanding of strategic philanthropy, CSR and shared value; experience in public-private partnerships and/or building, scaling and/or evaluating programs with corporate partners preferred; strong private sector networks a plus
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills; demonstrated success in relationship building with a wide array of stakeholders at c-suite/senior level; demonstrated ability to influence internal and external audiences
- Demonstrated consulting, relationship management and project management skills
- A track record of successfully planning and implementing new concepts, partnerships and/or campaigns; demonstrated ability to lead project teams and initiatives with a diverse range of partners and stakeholders
- Solid problem solving and analytical skills
- Basic finance and accounting knowledge
- Awareness of current and emerging health issues and trends
- Demonstrated international experience; strong regional links a plus
- Comfortable and thrives in fast-paced, entrepreneurial, resources-constrained work environment
- Must be citizen of an AU member country
- Fluency in French a plus
How to Apply:
Expressions of interest should be sent to Svetlana Kouzmina at GBCHealth: firstname.lastname@example.org They should be in English and consist of:
- CV/resume detailing professional qualifications, full employment history, latest remuneration and relevant achievements; and
- A cover letter which contains:
- A statement of personal level of interest in and motivation for the role and location (Nigeria base with pan-African remit)
- Examples of skills, experience and personal characteristics that you believe qualify you for this position
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit their resume and accompanying statements as early as possible. Applications will be reviewed and short-listed as they are received.
GBCHealth’s selection committee hopes to make an appointment by the end of the year. Short-listed candidates will be invited for a screening call as a first step in the interview process. Second round interviews will take place in Lagos, in-person.
Should you have any questions and wish to discuss the role further, please contact:
Svetlana Kouzmina at GBCHealth: email@example.com