If you are interested in contributing to GBCHealth’s mission and have specific skills and expertise that you feel might help advance our programming and organizational development, please contact us at email@example.com. We are especially interested in individuals with strong backgrounds in business, partnership development and public health.
Current Employment Opportunities:
GBCHealth is the preeminent organization focused on mobilizing positive business engagement in global health. Our vision is a global business community that is fully contributing its assets, skills, influence and reach to making a healthier world for employees, their families, and their communities. GBCHealth works with prominent companies of all sizes to guide, support, encourage and champion their engagement in global health. To achieve its mission, GBCHealth also works closely with the United Nations; U.S. government; The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; foreign governments; multilateral organizations; and civil society.
Overview of Partnership
GBCHealth is partnering with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) West and Central Africa Regional Office
(WCARO) to engage the private sector to elevate dialogue and action around the demographic dividend agenda. The objectives of the partnership are to: a) create a space for advocacy and policy dialogue for multi-sector and cross-border solutions; b) raise visibility and educate the private sector on health issues critical to realizing the demographic dividend; and c) provide direct avenues for the private sector to partner to improve sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and youth empowerment outcomes through integrated programming.
Ultimately, the effort will drive new partnerships to empower women, girls and youth and to improve access to high-quality SRHR products and services. Through this work, GBCHealth will catalyze and strengthen cross-sector partnerships between UNFPA, country governments, the private sector, and other key stakeholders. Together, GBCHealth and UNFPA will capitalize on the breadth of resources and capacities the private sector brings to the table.
Objectives and Time Frame
To deliver on this work GBCHealth is recruiting a Project Consultant, who will be based and work remotely in Francophone West Africa. The Consultant will collaborate with a small U.S.-based team, which includes project management, communications, and finance staff as well as senior leadership. Key objectives for this post include:
- Raise visibility and educate African-based companies on health issues critical to realizing the demographic dividend
- Provide direct avenues for companies to partner to improve SRHR outcomes
- Stimulate advocacy and policy dialogue across sectors, for true multi-sector and cross-border solutions
- The consultancy will ideally begin in early January 2019 and continue through September 30, 2019, with potential to extend through the end of the year. GBCHealth is seeking someone who can make a minimum commitment of twenty hours per week, with the possibility for more (to be discussed). GBCHealth will not cover relocation expenses; ideally, the Consultant is already based in Francophone West Africa.
The Project Consultant will report to the Project Manager and will lead engagement with the private sector on UNFPA WCARO’s agenda. Key responsibilities, amongst others, will include:
- Identify partnership opportunities with African and global companies, particularly French-speaking
- Contribute to messaging of business pitch to private sector with insights from UNFPA framing
- Lead partnership dialogues, facilitate meetings and provide external representation for partnership at meetings,
- forums and on panels
- Develop staff-level relationships with UNFPA WCARO, its Sahel Women’s Empowerment and Demographic Dividend (SWEDD) project coordinators, and priority Ministries in target countries; feed insights into GBCHealth team meetings
- Lead event logistics, as appropriate, including speaker identification, invitation dissemination, and agenda creation
- Draft and translate targeted communications in French and English
- Manage key partnerships and relationships with executives
- Adhere to UNFPA reporting requirements and ensure on-time reporting and submission of quarterly reports
- Join team meetings to discuss progress against deliverables; participate in other meetings as required
- Additional work may be requested by mutual agreement
Qualifications and Experience
- Master of Public Health, relevant Master’s Degree in areas of international development, health or political science, or Bachelor’s Degree and equivalent experience with six+ years of experience in relevant field
- Bilingual proficiency (both written and verbal) in English and French required
- Knowledge and capacity for thoughtful analysis of international development and global health issues with a preferred focus in family planning; SRHR; and/or maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health
- Strong partnership and relationship management and facilitation skills, including experience establishing and
- maintaining relationships with private sector leaders on global health and development issues, a client-focused attitude and dedication to meet and exceed expectations of external partners
- Experience and knowledge of public-private partnerships required
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to write knowledgably on complex policy issues
- Self-starter with the ability to be self-directed, to manage an independent work load and to identify priorities and new opportunities with minimal supervision
- Strong project management skills, including capacity to establish and implement a structured work plan with clear objectives, timelines, budget and deliverables
- Strong organizational and time management abilities, including ability to manage and deliver against multiple,
- overlapping short-, medium-, and long-term priorities
- Ability to represent program and GBCHealth internally and externally at appropriate levels
- Willingness to travel internationally (estimated at 2-4 times per year), including long hours during and in the lead up to specific priority meetings or events
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should email resumes to Alyssa Govindan at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for Project Consultant” as the subject line. Rather than send a cover letter, please state where you learned about the posting and respond to the following questions in the body of your email:
- What makes you especially qualified for this position?
- What is most important to you about the organization where you work?
- How do you stay motivated and engaged when working remotely?
We will be accepting applications until December 15 2018.
No phone calls please.
This position is based in New York, NY.
The Global Fund represents one of the most efficient avenues for business investment in the three pandemics, while also providing opportunities for co-financing and collaboration on the ground. To date, the Global Fund has committed USD 23.7 billion in funding to more than 1,000 programs in more than 140 countries—an unprecedented investment. GBCHealth serves the role of Focal Point for the Global Fund Private Sector Delegation (PSD), a group of companies committed to supporting the Global Fund’s mission to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria.
The Global Fund PSD internship offers a hands-on learning opportunity for graduate and senior undergraduate students seeking exposure to corporate social responsibility and public health issues. The PSD Intern will be involved in researching companies’ engagement with HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria; tracking Global Fund programs, policies and announcements; assisting with preparation for Global Fund Board meetings; drafting news items for the website, e-readers, newsletters and print publications; developing presentations and communication materials; summarizing reports; note-taking at meetings and teleconferences; copy-editing print publications produced by the department; and conducting ad-hoc research on Global Fund issues as needed. Also, the Intern will at times perform administrative duties, including organizing correspondence, managing event logistics, coordinating e-mail and print mailings, arranging travel, and providing database support/maintenance.
This internship will span four months, with the possibility of an extension. All interested candidates should be available part-time, for a minimum of 20 hours per week. Full time is preferred. The intern will report to the Program Officer and Focal Point to the Global Fund Private Sector Delegation.
- Monthly PSD e-reader: Monitor the Global Fund website, PSD mailbox and other sources for new and relevant communication to share with the PSD Advisory Group. Draft the monthly summary e-mail.
- PSD newsletter: Assist with drafting articles
- PSD annual report: Support research, design and drafting of the PSD annual report
- PSD web page: Assist in drafting Global Fund/PSD specific articles for the GBCHealth website
- PSD marketing materials: Update the PSD PowerPoint presentation, contact lists and one-pager, as needed
Events (virtual and in-person):
- Quarterly calls: Track participants and take notes for calls
- Other teleconferences: Track participants and take notes for PSD task force calls and other calls, as needed
- Global Fund Board Meetings: Track participant attendance, draft report summaries and assist with PowerPoint presentations
- Event takeaways: Draft summary reports for PSD events that staff attend to share with Advisory Group and on GBCHealth’s website
- Prepare meeting and conference call notes for review
- Assist in tracking PSD member information—participation in meetings and teleconferences,
communications received, invoice payment, value delivered and other activities
- Ensure PSD and Global Fund folders on the GBCHealth shared drive are organized and up-to-date
- Update Salesforce with PSD activities and engagement with companies
Research and briefing:
- Summarize Global Fund documents and audit reports for dissemination to Advisory Group, as needed
- Prepare company briefs and conduct research to identify potential new PSD members and/or private sector donors to the Global Fund
- Strong writing, editing and research experience and skills
- Experience in project management and managing competing priorities
- Exceptional attention to detail, highly organized and ability to multi-task and adapt in a dynamic
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience working in an international organization a plus
- Advanced command of design software a plus
- Experience working with Salesforce a plus
- Public health and strategic communications graduate students
- Recently graduated undergraduates with experience or interest in communications, business and public health
- GBCHealth’s Internship program provides students and professionals with a rich learning experience in a dynamic global organization
- The program is not salaried, but a modest stipend is provided.
Send your resume and cover letter to Georgia Kinsley (email@example.com). In the subject line, enter “PSD internship (spring 2019)” along with your first and last name. For example: PSD internship (spring 2019), Jane Doe.
No phone calls please. We will only respond to those candidates whose qualifications most closely match the internship description.