AIf you are interested in contributing to GBCHealth’s mission and have specific skills and expertise that you feel might help advance our programming and organizational development, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are especially interested in individuals with strong backgrounds in business, partnership development and health finance.
Current Employment Opportunities:
Chief Executive Officer, African Business Coalition for Health (Lagos, Nigeria)
Current Internship Opportunities (all Internship openings are currently filled. Please check back in late Fall for additional opportunities).
Chief Executive Officer, African Business Coalition for Health
In response to a rapidly growing African economy, and needs within national and regional health systems, GBCHealth is reorienting its strategy and many of its resources to focus on the emerging business community across Africa.
Building on its years of work with African business leaders, companies and the development community, GBCHealth, in partnership with the Aliko Dangote Foundation, is creating the African Business Coalition for Health (ABCHealth), focusing on business action at the intersection of health, sustainability and corporate citizenship.
The aim is simple: to generate progress where it is most needed to achieve positive health outcomes.
The vision for the coalition is to develop local approaches to support the coordinated involvement of the African private sector in improving the health and economic productivity of the continent. ABCHealth will support local companies to integrate best health practices into their own policies; to catalyze high-impact partnerships; to elevate the business voice to policy makers, and to provide a visible platform to recognize and share private sector contributions to improving health within their workplace and within their communities and countries of operation.
The coalition will be supported via a lead office in Lagos, Nigeria, hosted by the Aliko Dangote Foundation, with plans to expand the footprint across Africa over the next two to five years.
ABCHealth’s success is contingent upon attracting the best and the brightest emergent leaders and partners, along with speedy action and significant financial investments.
If you are a dynamic, experienced and highly collaborative leader, let’s change the world together. GBCHealth seeks a visionary, inspirational and strategic leader to drive ABCHealth’s start-up, launch, and growth. Successful candidates will be outstanding communicators and coalition-builders, knowledgeable about business and health, with the standing, respect and authenticity to influence and close large deals with high-net worth individuals, foundations and corporations.
He/she must be entrepreneurial, flexible and adaptable, with superior business acumen that enables swift development and execution of ideas and plans. Strong consulting and project management experience is essential, along with the ability to inspire trust, confidence and collaboration across a diverse community of stakeholders. He/she will be a passionate advocate, catalyst and change agent, building and driving a small high-performance team, towards quality execution and financial sustainability.
The position is based in Lagos, Nigeria, requiring domestic, regional and international travel.
- Leadership/Vision: Lead the creation of a fully active and invested network of African companies as the African Business Coalition for Health. Responsible for driving revenue and long-term financial stability, as well as strategic planning and partnerships
- Establish consulting practice, leading development and ‘sales’ of bespoke products
- Match and grow annual commitments over three years to support development of ABCHealth
- Cross fertilize programs in collaboration with international team, identifying and sharing opportunities to engage coalition members in global platforms
- Representation & facilitation: CEO is primary spokesperson for ABCHealth, representing the organization with business, government and development leaders, and on public platforms; facilitate roundtables and other leadership meetings with C-suite executives and other senior representatives of partners and stakeholders
- Relationship building: Establish effective working relationships with key stakeholders (e.g. government ministries, foundation and corporate leaders, other donors and program partners)
- Marketing & Communications: Oversee messaging, materials, outreach, social media, events with support from GBCHealth
- Program design and content: Lead idea generation and packaging of creative concepts and technical information to educate partners, drive partnerships and collective action
- Organization and fiscal management: Work with legal counsel and management team to create organizational structure, policy and procedures consistent with existing GBCHealth protocols and local requirements. Develop budgets, manage cash flow and financial reporting. Recruit and manage local staff and collaborate with GBCHealth leadership as part of global senior management team.
- Masters degree from leading university (or equivalent experience) in business, public health, international relations, communications or related field
- Minimum 15 years combined experience in business, international development and health, with at least five years’ experience leading one or more corporate programs
- Awareness of current and emerging health issues and trends
- An understanding of strategic philanthropy, CSR and shared value; experience in building cross-sector partnerships with strong private sector networks
- Demonstrated leadership in consulting; building brands, products, portfolios; creating new business models and/or learning platforms with proven market results
- Track record in negotiating significant commitments from corporate sector, high-net worth individuals and other donors
- Demonstrated success in relationship building with a wide array of stakeholders at c-suite/senior level; demonstrated ability to influence internal and external audiences
- A track record of successfully planning and implementing new concepts, partnerships and/or campaigns; demonstrated ability to lead project teams and initiatives with a diverse range of partners and stakeholders
- Demonstrated international experience and strong regional links
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills
- Thrives in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Must be citizen of an AU member country
- Fluency in French a plus
How to Apply:
Expressions of interest should be sent to Ian Matthews at GBCHealth: email@example.com. Applications should be in English and consist of:
- CV/resume detailing professional qualifications, full employment history, latest remuneration and relevant achievements; and
- A cover letter which contains:
- A statement of personal level of interest in and motivation for the role and location (Nigeria base with pan-African remit)
- Examples of skills, experience and personal characteristics that you believe qualify you for this position
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit their resume and accompanying statements as early as possible. Applications will be reviewed and short-listed as they are received.
GBCHealth’s selection committee hopes to make an appointment by the end of February 2018. Short-listed candidates will be invited for a screening call as a first step in the interview process. Final interviews will take place in Lagos, in-person.
Should you have any questions and wish to discuss the role further, please contact:
Ian Matthews at GBCHealth: firstname.lastname@example.org